Thursday, July 30, 2009

Watch me pull an attitude out of my hat!

Today my daughter went to a birthday party and wore a top hat. This might seem normal if we were a family of magicians, but the only thing we've ever managed to make disappear is money... Beanie is, how do I put this? Beanie is a creative soul whose independent spirit sometimes makes her momma cringe. This is where the true bloggtress would post a photo of said top hat, but I'm new and didn't have a camera handy. AND honestly it just seemed normal to me that she would leave the house wearing a top hat. Let me clarify that, it is not exactly normal for an 11 year old to don a top hat, but for Beanie? I'm surprised it wasn't a top hat with feathers. Now here is the lesson for today, why do we care so much about how something might look to others? How can I, as mother to this child who dreams of wearing neon jeans to school this year, not be the first in line to say, "WHAT are you wearing?" and instead proclaim, "If anyone can pull that off, it's you Light Brite!" Shouldn't I be her biggest fan? Shouldn't I encourage her to be herself? Shouldn't I celebrate her sense of (gulp) style?? Tonight I am throwing off my self-conscience "don't you just want to fit in" mantra and letting you all know, "MY DAUGHTER CAN ACCESSORIZE LIKE NO OTHER!" and I'll be wearing a top hat while doing it....

1 comment:

Hillary said...

Honestly hilarious. If she can rock a top hat, she can rock neon pants. You need pictures for future evidence though. Go Beanie!